Thursday, April 3, 2008

James Marsden...Not Just a Pretty Face




Okay, so I fully expected, upon plopping my fifty cents on the counter for this movie, that I would get a completely mockable romantic comedy that included all the clichés – initial hate, mistaken identity, miscommunications, lead character in love with someone else, broken hearts, and finally, a frantic race to declare love at the last.possible.second! I love me a terrible romantic comedy – it is so rife with unintended humor. Alas, my quarter and five nickels (that’s right!) did not get me my horrible rom-com. Despite the fact that this movie included ALL of the above clichés AND Katherine Heigl, it was actually pretty good. Sigh. Here are some of the reasons why:

James Marsden: Of course. He made this whole movie work. He’s like what Harry Connick Jr. was trying to do, but Marsden was ACTUALLY charming and cute. He did sport the same outfit throughout the entire movie, but wardrobe was clearly going for the struggling-writer angle, and we all know they only wear button down shirts with a gray undershirt. Their hands were tied! (See right: So cute, as he laughs and takes pictures of Heigl to advance his career!)

Judy Greer: I’ve had a soft spot for Greer since Arrested Development (“Say good-bye to THESE!) but this role was an inspired bit of acting for her. She seemed constantly drunk/hungover/high, at one point slurring her words so badly I could barely make out what she was saying. Awesome.

All of the dresses: So sue me, the prairie girl get up made me laugh. Yes, I confess, sometimes my laughs are cheap! I’m sorry! I will go watch Good Luck Chuck as a penance, so I can remember what cheap laughs get you! (No, I won’t really do that. Please, don’t make me! PLEASE!) (see left: Kinda funny, right?)

What they did Wrong: Of course, it wasn’t all perfection. They hinted at redemption for the completely awful sister, who lied to her boyfriend (who also happened to be the guy Heigl was in love with) and who completely unforgivably cut up their dead mother’s wedding dress. I don’t need to see her straighten her life out. She is a horrible person, and she should never find love EVER AGAIN!

Not quite a Giant Face, but why is it staring at me like that?: Speaking of the sister, her face was disturbing. Especially for a character who is supposed to be so terrifically good looking. Malin Ackerman (unfortunate name too, as long as we’re going for low blows here) has too-tweezed eyebrows, a little pig nose, squinty eyes, and is overall not great looking. Also, the face parts of her face are squeezed onto the tiny bottom half, leaving her looking very disproportionate. I just didn’t buy her as the hot sister. (That picture is sorta flattering, making me look like I am just mean. I'm not, I promise. See it in a theater, then you'll see!)

Conclusion: My god, I would guilty pleasure buy this movie and hide it behind my Frank Capra Collection. Then, when people came over, I could be all “What? Oh yes, I really only enjoy the classics” and the minute they leave I could pull it out and watch it with popcorn and a goofy smile. I mean, I’m not GOING to do that- no, no, no. Definitely not. What was I saying? Um, yeah, it’s worth fifty cents.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't believe you didn't consult me before you posted this! It was AWFUL. Did you mention that Katherine Heigel is terrible and must not be allowed to make movies anymore? Also, WHY was Judy Greer playing drunk/high/incomprehensible? WHY? Why was that an acting choice?