Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Dancing Singing Rodents






Alvin and the Chipmunks

I usually enter 50 Cent Tuesday movies with the expectation of seeing something pretty terrible. That is kind of the point. But when the title credits began rolling and I heard the chipmunks sing “You had a bad day” I thought oh crap I might actually enjoy this movie. There are a few movie devices that have a place in my heart, which increase my threshold for the ridiculous. I guess musical rodents should be added to that list.





PREMISE: The chipmunks live in a forest near mountains until the tree they live in is cut down and brought to Los Angeles as a Christmas tree. There, chance encounters with a dog and a muffin basket lead them to aspiring song writer Dave Seville, who has just heard that no one would ever sing any of his songs. (In fairness the first one mentioned something about death and abyss… not exactly mass appeal) The Chipmunks proceed to trash his house, sing some songs, become famous, and leave Dave for the promise of fun and family. (photo at right: Chipmunks become financially successful, become demonic)

The movie was a little to heavy on plots for a children’s movie that relies on a fart joke for a comedic moment. Will Dave get back with his ex girlfriend, will the chipmunks find the family they search for, will Dave get over his commitment issues that apparently extend to small talking rodents, can he save them from evil uncle Ian, and how did chipmunks living in a forest learn to sing, speak english and READ? It’s probably one of those moments where it is best not to ask too many questions but reading!!! WTF?

ACTING: The casting wasn’t bothersome. (though I did find it interesting how an actress who played a 15 year old on “House” was suddenly old enough to have a career and live by herself, see right) Acting was bad. I understand that the furry chipmunks the audience got to see (and hear sing) were not there while they were shooting the movie, but couldn’t they have had like a puppet or something for them to look at. The actors were obviously staring at nothing and trying to interact with and on occasion catch NOTHING.




DANCING: A movie with singing chipmunks who go on tour must include back up dancers for their act. It’s a fact. You took the time with dialogue to tell us what a choreographer does. So… why didn’t you hire one? The “dancers” “dance” like mc hammer in the early 90s. Why not hire the people from Step Up 2 and take it to the streets? (Step up 2 takes it to the streets)




CHIPMUNKS: Every time the movie got kind of annoying and I was little like why did they make chipmunks like waffles, the chipmunks start singing and I was ok with the world. So sue me, my favorite Christmas song is the chipmunk one. It’s fun. Toward the end where they started having the back up dancers I was a little less enthralled with their sound, but if I can find it “you had a bad day” might become the ringtone on my cell phone.


Comparing the old TV show with the new movie. (Left vs. right) I must say I am glad they got rid of the extra long pajama like tunics they were wearing, but did they have to make them look like they want to hijack my car?





BEST LINE OF THE MOVIE: We're talking chipmuncks, Dave. We can get out of a cat carrier. It's not even hard.



CONCLUSION: We would pay 50 cents again to see this movie! No promises about full price admission but if they made a sequel with the Chipettes we would probably go see it for another 50 cents.

No comments: